Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Winter Fishing: Cabin Fever Held at Bay!

The Trout Buddha is pleased to report I have avoided a full blown case of cabin fever with an appropriately timed trip to Big Sky Montana. While this was technically a business trip (Big Sky Athletic Training and Sports Medicine Conference) I could not help but enjoy all the area had to offer. Between meetings I found time for some skiing, a snow shoe outing, and an afternoon of guided fishing on the Gallatin. Wonderful. I booked through the Gallatin River Guides shop and had a great afternoon (February 3rd) with an excellent guide (Gervaise Purcell). We enjoyed some sun in the canyon and managed to land a handful of fish (though some were of the whitefish variety - Whitefish Unlimited?) it was still wonderful to have a rod in my hand and to be chasing trout. The temperatures were in the low 30s and we had a bit of ice on the guides from time to time - bottom line - I got to fish. Great day, wonderful surroundings, a super guide from a great shop, and just what any Wisconsin angler needs in the dead of winter.

It is kind of odd that one of my recent posts lamented my inability to fish in Florida due to the 40 degree cold - hmm doesn't seem quite right. I could always fish here in Wisconsin but I never seem to be able to hit that hole with my fly.

When in doubt - fish.
Tight Lines Amigos!
Trout Buddha


No comments:

Post a Comment